2014年3月31日星期一

Magazine founder/editor from South Brunswick launches a fashion collection

Tirusha Dave's new fashion collection debuted at Atlantic City Fashion Week in February. The collection of the South Brunswick-based magazine editor/writer uses the fabrics of India in many bold ways and styles.
(Image:princess prom dresses uk)
Although, the fabrics are from India, Tirusha Dave’s clothing designs differ from traditional Indian clothing. Tank tops, cropped tops, bared midriffs and more are featured in many of her designs.
A teacher by day and a magazine editor/writer by night, Dave’s fashion design sketches were just a hobby in what little spare time she had. But after friends and co-workers kept encouraging her, Dave, of South Brunswick, took the sketches to fashion show producers. As a result, her debut collection of resort wear was showcased during Atlantic City Fashion Week in February.
“I had been sketching for a while, and people kept telling me your sketches are really good, you should really pursue it,” she said. “I had a lot of feedback from fashion show producers and models, so I took a leap of faith, linked up with a tailor and put together my debut.”
Dave said she sold many of the pieces in her collection at the show and is now exploring ways to continue to manufacture more pieces and continue to show her collection.
She was already involved in the fashion industry through her position as editor of the online South Asian fashion, entertainment and lifestyle magazine, called Bravura Magazine, which Dave started. “I have always been interested in writing and fashion, so the magazine combined my interests, and it filled a void.” Dave started Bravura after she graduated from college, after having built her reputation as a writer, publishing in numerous South Asian publications.
“I have been very fortunate, interviewing and meeting numerous Bollywood celebrities, such as director Kunal Kohli.” She said she had also worked with many other Bollywood stars. “Our magazine has been invited to major fashion events, such as Mercedes-Benz Fashion Week, Couture Fashion Week and Atlantic City Fashion Week.” She said they had also been invited to mainstream movie premieres such as Superman and The Great Gatsby.
She explained her reasoning for starting the magazine. “When I was doing my writing internships in college, there wasn’t that one online portal that catered to any reader in our generation, it was either gender-specific or subject-specific. I really wanted to mix it up. I also felt there was a lack of a South Asian magazine for the younger generation.”
Dave said her background, having Indian parents, but being born in the U.S., made her uniquely aware of the void in the magazine area. Likewise, her fashion interests combined her Indian heritage with her U.S. background. “I am not a traditional Indian designer,” she laughed. “Not with my resort wear, bikinis and cropped tops. But people, both Indian and non-Indian were very responsive. I had so many people coming up to me wanting to buy my things after the show. It was really wonderful.”
“I am in the process of making a web page and having more pieces made,” Dave said. She added that she thought the show was so successful in part because it “represented my heritage and culture. It was not completely Indian and not completely American. It’s my western side mixed with my non-western side. It seemed to appeal to a lot of people. I also had some full-figured pieces and some full-figured models. I think as a result it appealed to more people. They could see themselves wearing it on vacation. Not everyone is a size zero. The average woman is a 12 or 14.”

She said when she decided to do the show, she just thought it would be a good experience, and never imagined she would get the large outpouring of interest. “I had a lot of fun doing it. It was an amazing experience, and the reception was beyond what I had imagined to be possible,” she said.Also read here:sexy prom dresses

没有评论:

发表评论